Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Our Sweetie-Moon

Yes, I realize it's called a "honeymoon". But Mr. S and I have never called each other "honey". It's always "sweetie" or "sweetheart". So therefore, we are going on a sweetie-moon!

Mr. S and I were never set on going on a traditional honeymoon. We would rather spend the money as a down payment on a house, or to pay off some student loans (ugh). We're pretty practical people. So we figured we would go up to northern Michigan for a week or so. Maybe stay on Mackinaw Island (which we absolutely love). Just something to spend some time together after the wedding, but not spend an arm and a leg.

Enter Mr. S's mom. An extremely generous and caring FMIL. Much to our surprise and utter amazement, she decides to gift us a sweetie-moon cruise to...the Mediterranean!

Our itinerary - Holland America
Now before I go into complete detail, I want to share something with you all about me. I am a TERRIBLE traveler. I don't like flying, I get motion sick, and I get very cranky when I'm off my schedule. This might be because I haven't done enough traveling in my life. Or I could just be a total sissy. Either way, this is going to be my first out-of-the-country trip ever. And my first time on a cruise ship. I'm super excited, and scared out of my wits! Luckily, it is also Mr. S's first time for both of those things. And being able to experience it (both good and bad) with him makes me very happy.

So onto the details! We will fly to Barcelona, Spain to board the ship. From there we will have 12 days of cruising and many many stops to France, Monaco, Italy, Greece, Croatia, and finally docking in Venice. We get to dock every morning and spend the entire day at each stop, with the exception of one day of cruising. I'm hoping that my stupid motion sickness can be at bay at least to enjoy the amazing sites!

Hoping this is not me on the ship! - Image via Safe Home Products

When FMIL offered us this awesome trip, we were of course gracious and very happy, but we also had a few feelings of doubt about it. It is a lot of time to take off from work, to not see the Little Noodle, and a lot of spending money to have to bring. Then we talked about it, and realized that this may be the only time in our lives that we get to experience traveling to these beautiful places. Demanding jobs, the possibility of having children, and life in general could keep us from being able to do something like this together in the future. I think it is important to take opportunities when they are presented to you, and this was definitely one of those moments for us.

How are you spending your honeymoon, or sweetie-moon? Did you debate whether to go all out or keep it simple (and cheap), or to not go on one at all?

Happy planning!
Miss Spaghetti

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an amazing trip! My first time out of the country was on our honeymoon and I loved it. I'm sure you will have a blast!

    ReplyDelete