Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Toast to DIY Etching

Mom Spaghetti seemed disappointed (and confused) when I told her I didn't plan on having Champagne at our reception. WHAT?!?!? How in the third world will you do a toast?

Seriously, I hate champagne. Really hate it. I don't see the point of buying it just for people to toast with at our reception. An obvious solution: we're having beer and wine. How's about I get Mr. Spaghetti and I some etched glasses for our beverages? He's a beer snob. I'm a moscato girl. So he'll get a personalized beer mug with our names and the wedding date. I'll get a personalized wine glass with the same info. I love the fact that it will be very "us". Oh, and Mr. S wouldn't drink wine if someone paid him, and that's the same relationship I have with beer :)

I'm finding etched beer/wine glasses online for around $15-20 each. BUT...what if I did it myself? I found a nifty little tutorial here about how to do it. Since I've already got umpteen wine glasses at home, I can use one of them. I will have to see if Mr. S has any plain glass beer mugs already (I know he has tons of U of M ones, but I wouldn't dare mess with those!).

Here is what you need to do it:
  • Roll of Contact Paper
  • Glassware
  • Junk Brush
  • Credit card
  • X-Acto Knife
  • Pencil
  • Armour Etch Acid
I'm pretty sure I've seen contact paper at good 'ol Dollar Tree. I see on Hobby Lobby's website, that they sell the etching cream for around $8.99. But we all know Hob Lob often has 50% off sales, and my fave thing in the world: coupons! So I'm sure I can find it for around half that. I am thinking I should be able to complete this project for under $10, if I have both pieces of glassware at home already. A significant savings over the online options!

I am going to give this a try in the near future, so stay tuned for the details on how my first major wedding DIY project goes!

What was your first major DIY wedding project? Did it go as planned?

Happy planning!
Miss Spaghetti

3 comments:

  1. Just add some heavy-duty rubber gloves to that list and you should be good. Also, don't skimp on the etching cream when you apply it, make sure it's good and glopped on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! It sounds like you are speaking from experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! I can't wait to see the finished design! I love that you're staying true to yourselves by not having champagne. Mr. E doesn't drink at all and I don't drink much, so we're not having alcohol at all: we're just having sparkling cider.

    ReplyDelete