Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Delicious Love Story

Boy meets girl. They eat pizza. They live happily ever after.
Image courtesy of A Big Story blog


What have we learned from this story? That pizza is deeelish, and makes perfect sense for us and our reception dinner. What some might think is tacky, or "not fancy enough", sounds like just the perfect dinner idea for us and our park lodge wedding. But it's not just pizza, it's fresh salad, breadsticks, and chicken alfredo. YUM.

Can you tell I've got food on the brain? Last night Mr. S and I met with our first catering company, JT's Catering. It is a local restaurant/sports bar/take-out place that makes all their food from scratch. No jars or cans, people, it's all fresh. And we could tell. At first, Mr. S was leary, since he had never heard of them before (they are located aaaaalllll the way across town from where we normally venture). But once he started eating, his mind was made up. "I'm done looking, this is what I want." he said. Although I was thrilled for him to have an opinion, I casually let him know that until I was ABSOLUTELY sure we had found the best food for the best deal, I would continue to research our options.

The difference between JT's and a lot of catering companies that I've contacted is that we got to go in and sit down, have an entire meal, and even take home the leftovers. Most catering companies will give you a few bites of a few of your options. This is nice and all, but feeding us a massive dinner sure was a good sales tactic, and it worked like a charm on Mr. S. Overall, I was highly impressed with not only the service and demeanor of their catering manager, but also with the quality and taste of the food. They even offered to make Mr. S. his own special batch of cheesy bread for the wedding, since they only do plain bread sticks on the buffet (insert Mr. S's drool here). Oh, and speaking of accommodating, since my mom has to follow a gluten-free diet, they said they would make her a personal gluten-free pizza for no extra charge. Impressive!

The best part of all this, is that the catering manager didn't think he'd have any problems coming in at our budget ($9.50 per person). And he would include disposable plates and silverware, and set up and clean up service. He would also be able to include a dessert that they make in house, which is some kind of a graham cracker, vanilla pudding, chocolate pan of deliciousness, and I can't remember what he called it. Since we don't plan on having a cake, I thought this would be a great choice for a dessert. Our dream of having an ice cream buffet are dim, because of the cost. So I've been toying around with some kind of a dessert buffet anyway.

Is anyone else planning a non-traditional buffet for their wedding reception? What do you think of our pizza buffet idea?

Happy planning!
Miss Spaghetti

1 comment:

  1. I think pizza is an AWESOME idea for wedding food, and that's awesome you can do it on a budget. I have no idea how it could be tacky: it's food,it's a meal, you're feeding your guests, and it's GOOD food at that! And the fact that they're accommodating your mom for no extra charge is great: my only worry at first was that I may not have anything to eat, since I myself am gluten free, but that solves it!

    We're doing a non-traditional buffet too: we're having Qdoba cater!

    ReplyDelete