Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Thinking of My Grandma

This weekend was my Grandma's 82nd birthday. She's had a lot of health problems in her later years, including a recent stint in a rehab hospital after cracking her hip during a fall. She not cannot be left alone even for a minute. Luckily, my mom lives with her, and she is there to take care of her. My sister (MOH K), my cousin (BM S) and I went in on a photo book for her birthday gift. We put pics of S's wedding, K's engagements (her wedding is in February) and Mr. S and my engagements. She loved it, as I expected she would since she could spend hours just looking at pics of our family. After we left though, my mom texted and told me that Gram asked her what the book was. Gram thought she was seeing it for the first time. Yep, dementia. She's been more and more forgetful, but after her last surgery she's been really bad.

I've always wanted my Grandma to be there when I get married. She means the world to me, and she's the one Grandparent that I have left in this world. But I feel so bad that she probably won't remember even being there. I don't think I would feel complete if she weren't at our wedding. I'm beginning to worry that even if she's still physically in this world in June, she might not be physically or mentally able to come.

These are just some thoughts I've been having since seeing my Gram on Saturday. I wanted to share in hopes that others had family or friends that were not able, or were no longer there to celebrate this time with them. Anyone had an experience like this during their wedding planning?

Miss Spaghetti



No comments:

Post a Comment