Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Petal Picking

As I mentioned in my last post, my next task is to pick some gosh darn flowers. Being the DIY freak that I am, I immediately wanted to do my own bouquets with artificial flowers (they don't die) and they are cheaper than real flowers, or so I thought. Once I started pricing out the two options, I began to realize that real flowers weren't so far out of my price range. I have yet to look at the local flower markets, but I'm really intrigued by some of the options for buying flowers online.

Once site I found is Fifty Flowers. I've read some good reviews about this place and I was especially excited when I found my beautiful white and lavender Dahlia on there!
Pink Lavender Button Dahlia flowers - Fiftyflowers.com
Yes, it looks pink. It's actually lavender, thank you very much. I LOVE how the petals fade from lavender to white inside. And the availability? Starts in June. Oh yeah! You can get 30 stems for $129.99 shipped. This, however, would only make about 2 bouquets, based on the amount used for my inspiration:
Dahlia bouquets wrapped in lily grass - Flowers by Shirley

My other fave flower? Ranunculus.
Ranunculus Flower - Fifty Flowers

Problem is I don't see any online in "our" color - lavender. And the price? $239.99 for 100 stems. A bit over my budget of $200. It's not out of the question, but I'd rather have some purples in there!

Now for the artificial options...

I found these pretty white and dark purple dahlias online:
Artificial Dahlia Stems - Afloral.com
But at a price of $5.29 per stem, it's actually cheaper to buy the real ones!

Conclusion: I love the lavender and white in the flowers. I like a soft and romantic look for the bouquets. I guess I'm not so particular as to "need" a certain type of flower, as long as it fits my colors and vision. Is that too much to ask? ;)

I have yet to check out the local pickings (hopefully this weekend). So we'll see what I can find. Anyone know of a particular kind of flower that might be what I'm looking for, that also wouldn't break the bank? How did you pick your flowers?

Happy planning!
Miss Spaghetti

4 comments:

  1. Those dahlias are lovely! I really like the way the colour fades out, I love flowers like that!

    If you're looking for cheaper stems with a similar shape to dahlia, have you considered carnations? They're usually pretty cheap. You can get them in purple, although I'm not sure how dark it is - this website says they're easy enough to colour once they've been cut though if you buy white ones, is that something you might consider?

    http://www.ehow.com/info_8036485_colors-carnation-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I didn't know carnations could be dyed! Thanks for that link. I would definitely consider that.

      I also looked online at FiftyFlowers.com and found this:
      http://www.fiftyflowers.com/product/Purple-Carnation-Flowers-Mixed_23490.htm

      I like the idea of having a variety of different purples! And you get plenty of stems (80) for $99.99.

      Thanks for the ideas!

      Delete
    2. Glad I could help! My FH loves carnations, so that's a budget-saver for us, and they have a lovely 'fluffy' shape. My mum also had freesias in her wedding bouquet, so I've been investigating them recently, and they come in a lovely purple colour:

      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=purple+freesia&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=CkseUZy_AqSn4ASS34GQDA&biw=1280&bih=860&sei=DEseUbbKCaf14QTb9IGwAw

      They're a bit more expensive ($149.99 for 80-100 on FiftyFlowers at the moment!), but they're available from Spring, and might add a bit of variety?

      Delete
    3. Those are pretty too! Here I was, thinking I had limited options, now I think I'll have a tough time choosing :)

      Thanks again!

      Delete